Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Post appointment 411 on Bella

    Appointments between the hours of 10 AM and 3 PM should not exist.  Apparently the schedulers missed the Universal Nap Time memo. All of the babies in the waiting room were fussy, tired, hungry and of course there was a giant NO FOOD sign on the door in our waiting room...of course.  We wandered through the halls snacking on Doritos and string cheese, flirting with EVERY passer by.  Well,  I wasn't snacking on junk, nor was I flirting, it was all her... really it was.  We made the best of our 3 hour appointment and it turned out okay.


Okay, so I wimped out a little with the button change and let the doctor do the entire thing. I observed VERY closely and I could totally do it on my own if I had to. I do have the Doctor's cell phone number just in case.
    On to more important topics. The appointment went well. Isabella weighs about 19 pounds, a measly one pound up from her last appointment but it means that she hasn't been losing weight, which is a huge step for her. CHEERS!
Radiology checked the placement of the tube and it was perfect.  The Dr. thinks that she is swallowing lots of air when she drinks her bottles.  It's taking up enough room in her stomach to fill it, satisfy her appetite and cause vomiting when she's tube fed.  I watched her closely today and she was indeed swallowing LOTS of air.  If I fill her bottle too much and she's able to keep it down, she's in danger of extremely high ostomy output and dehydration.  I can only give her 4 ounces of fluid at a time but she won't drink out of the smaller bottles. What's a girl to do?   She does have textural and behavioral issues as well, but those are manageable. The swallowing of air...not so much. Now would be a good time for that magic wand!  As far as her gag reflex goes, Dr says that I just need to wait it out. I brush her teeth a few times a day and I have noticed that she gags less during the process.  It's looking like we're on the right track with her feeding issues.
My goals over the next 3 weeks are to get Isabella on full feeds without stomach upset, help her to overcome the behavioral vomiting issues, and see her gain about 5 pounds before her next doctors appointment. Baby steps and consistency is what it will take. Slow and steady wins the race, right?!
 
 


1 comment:

Katie said...

I was so happy to hear that she's kept her weight on that I showed all of the people I work with at school. So what if I'm proud of my awesome sister and neice :)