Sunday, August 15, 2010

Our First Moment


I was finally able to hold our tiny Isabella!  A Respiratory Therapist and Bella's Nurse Practitioner were present to assist me, and to watch her vital signs.  She tolerated her time out of the Incubator much better than we expected and I was able to hold her for 20 minutes.
   I can't come up with a word or phrase that would do justice to this experience.  I fell in love with her long before she was born. I've anticipated our "first moment" throughout my entire pregnancy. If you have kids, I'm sure you understand. For those of you who don't, let me explain.  Just after you deliver, the doctor places your baby in your arms. There is an immediate and involuntary outpouring of love, laughter and tears that spills straight from your heart. There's no stopping it, all you can do is let your emotions go, and adore your baby.
Sadly, we missed the "first moment" bus the day she was born. Isabella was taken to an incubator and put on life support before I could catch my breath or regain sanity and self control.  I waited patiently...sort of...for our bus to arrive. Nearly one month after she was born, on August 11th, I held her for the first time.
There was a beautiful rush of emotions that soared through me, I became lost in our first moments together. The first time our skin warmed one another's. The first time I kissed her head. The first time I smelled her. The first time I comforted her. The first time I held my baby.The first time our beautiful little angel was held by her mother.

5 comments:

Danny and Veronica said...

That is so beautiful and so true! Congrats to Isabella for being such a strong girl and a beauty like mom:)

Mike and Emily said...

Stop it, I'm crying!

Luna said...

I think that has to be one of the sweetest pictures!

Cammie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story! She is gorgeous!

Jackie said...

what a beautiful moment, I am so glad you had that wonderful moment together!