Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Labor and Delivery

On July 15th at 6:32 PM We hopped onto an unstable roller coaster ride with prayer and optimism on one end and fear of the unknown on the other.

Three days after my prenatal check up, which went so well that my doctor was certain I'd carry to term, I started labor.  I had a fever, which is never good when your pregnant, then, the contractions began! Typically, when you complain of back aches and contractions at 25 weeks gestation, you're called a wimp, if the pain stays, you lie down on your left side for one hour, if that fails...you pop Terbutaline tablets like they're orange Tic Tacs.  
No amount of medication or lying down availed my attempts to stop the labor.  3 hours later, we went to the South Valley Hospital's Labor and Delivery Unit. I was contracting every three minutes, hemorrhaging and dilated to 5 centimeters. They started steroid injections to help the babies lungs develop, antibiotics to fight any possible infections and Terbutaline to stop the labor.
Within the hour, I was at 8 centimeters dilated and being Life Flighted to The University of Utah Hospital. Ten minutes after arrival, I was fully dilated and began to push. Did you notice my LACK of mentioning pain meds? OUCH!!! I will spare you the details but I did scream into Nate's shoulder, and I may have hit the doctor, with a malicious intent to injure her, but one couldn't be certain.
 After spending an eternity in agonizing pain, which manifests its self as a measly 30 minutes on the clock, our nameless baby girl was born. She had a strong heartbeat but her blue and limp appearance frightened us.  The doctors explained to us that she was stable, "for now", but this would be a very difficult "roller coaster" ride for her and us.  I thought to myself, "So hold onto your hats and glasses folks,'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness". Great timing huh?


We'd love to continue to share this roller coaster of a journey with you.  Isabella's  health changes daily so we've decided to track her progress  through an additional page on our blog.  Click on the tab titled Isabella's Page for updates.

My wonderful kids came to visit me after I delivered.  We had so much fun playing with the controls on the bed.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Such a good day! Everyone coming to support Mom and isabella :)

hi, i'm brooke! said...

I'm so glad that she seems to be doing well! Did you deliver early with your other kids at all? My first was 7 weeks early, and my second started coming at 28 weeks. I'm curious if it's always been something your body has done?